StrongKey makes data breaches irrelevant. We are redefining the way businesses and government agencies secure their information against the inevitability of a breach through four specific practices that ensure their data, no matter the format, remains encrypted and protected at the highest possible level. While other security solutions focus on predicting, containing, or looking after the perimeter, StrongKey provides strong authentication, application-level encryption, and digital signatures which are underpinned by hardware-backed key management to ensure data security even with an attacker on your network. We’re trusted by some of the largest companies and critical government agencies around the globe, and provide tailored solutions for multinational corporations, small businesses, and even individuals working from a home office.
Founded in 2001, we are now in a pivotal growth stage, which creates a unique opportunity for anyone joining the StrongKey team. We offer the autonomy, excitement, strategy-setting, and challenge of a startup, with the stability of nearly 20 years of proven security, thought leadership, and a working business model. If you are tired of being lost in the crowd and yearn for the opportunity to make a personal impact, we may be a compelling place for you to work.
What You’ll Do Here
This is an exciting opportunity to be the day-to-day leader of our engineering team. You will lead and manage our Engineering team, consisting of an Engineering Manager, senior and junior engineers. You will work closely with the COO for business strategy and with the CTO for technical direction, and in doing so, will help maintain and build our entire product suite.
You will be responsible for leading your team to deliver our open source security solutions to customers around the world who use us for data security and compliance (e.g., PCI DSS, PSD2, GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA, CMMC, etc.). You will set the cadence and culture of our engineering organization, and be a part of the company’s leadership team.
Lastly, you will help lead the building of a new e-commerce platform as we begin to offer our cryptographic services in new cloud offerings.
You will have the opportunity to define how a team works, in addition to getting into details yourself when it’s helpful. We’re looking for an effective team leader and smart engineer who is ready to help launch some significant growth. This is a unique moment in time for hiring this position, and we think this is a great chance for someone to leave a lasting mark on a company and the people they work with.
Your day-to-day will include:
• Product development, documentation, and delivery – both through leading and managing your team, as well as selected high priority direct hands-on work
• Support the development cycles of new features in StrongKey's Tellaro appliances to deliver single and multi-tenant cryptographic key management services to customers in the cloud
• Managing the development of an e-commerce platform for acquiring new business, provisioning services, revenue collection and support of multi-tenant StrongKey Tellaro services, as well as single-tenant FIDO services in public and private clouds or on-premise deployments
• Ensuring 24-hour support of Tellaro services to customers around the world
• Set engineering and security goals to ensure product compliance to SOC 2 Type 1/Type 2, PCI DSS, Web Trust, HIPAA, and similar data protection regulations
• Act as leader on a variety of engineering projects with deep technical knowledge of Linux, TCP/IP, Java, and a variety of web services
• Manage the engineering team, as you design and develop technical processes to improve engineering quality and efficiency
• Provide regular VP-level communication of engineering work, milestones, product development
Note: These requirements are the most desired qualifications. If you do not meet all of them, we still encourage you to apply, and in particular, explain how you might meet any significant gaps.
• At least 10 years of experience in an engineering environment. At least 5 years of engineering management experience.
• Excellent project management skills, for both self and others. Ability to structure and guide work with clear deliverables and timelines.
• High personal drive and the ability to thrive in an often-remote working environment
• Hands-on experience with RHEL, Java, Apache HTTPD, and open-source environments
• PKI experience and exposure to smart cards, cryptographic hardware modules, TPM, HSM etc. Experience with FIDO protocols a significant plus.
• Java Enterprise Edition application server knowledge a strong plus
• Familiarity with the computing models of public cloud services
• Experience working with OEM partners
• Ability to communicate effectively in a worldwide environment, including aligning, motivating, and encouraging a team.
• Makes connections between technical delivery and product development
• BS or MS in Computer Science
The Kind of Person Who Might Enjoy Working Here
• Someone who knows how to communicate well in all circumstances, whether requiring directness, empathy, feedback, listening, or all of the above; we value the “human” in human capital and we're looking for people who feel the same way
• A person who is equally comfortable chatting with a non-technical customer and sharing technical information
• Has high-energy, optimistic, creative, curious, people-oriented, and flexible (we're a startup even if we've been around a while!)
• Has a love of life outside of work; personal balance is important to us
StrongKey is based out of Durham, NC and Cupertino, CA, and we work primarily from home (currently), but do use our Cupertino office sparingly with social-distancing protocols. This position is based in Cupertino, CA. Candidates from the Northern California area will also be considered.
You will receive a competitive salary, equity stake, and an attractive benefits package. You will also have the opportunity to help build a business and work closely with everyone in the company. If you're motivated to help to write a company's story as it begins a new chapter, this is a powerful opportunity to join the ground floor of a business we truly believe is going to be meaningful.
Please send your resume and a short cover letter (no longer than a page) to email@example.com. If you’d like to learn more without applying, please feel free to drop us a line.